If you are interested in applying for a Roundup for Safety grant to fund a local non-profit safety project, please read through these guidelines, then complete the online application below.
About the Program
Flathead Electric Cooperative developed the Roundup for Safety Program to help identify and fix safety hazards in our neighborhoods by awarding grants to non-profit organizations to help pay for these life-safety projects throughout our entire service territory. Roundup for Safety is funded by participating members who voluntarily “round up” their monthly electric bill to the nearest dollar with the extra money going to a fund for these projects.
To receive funding, the application must demonstrate that the life safety project is directly linked to providing or improving the safety of persons in the communities Flathead Electric Cooperative serves. Applications are evaluated by a volunteer board of directors, and funds are awarded based on community need for the safety project and the number of people impacted.
To be eligible to apply for Roundup for Safety funding, organizations must be exempt from federal income taxation under 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (or the corresponding provision of any future United States Internal Revenue Code (the “Code”) as a corporation described in 501(c)(3) of the Code, or for the activities of other organizations and entities for whom a charitable deduction is deemed authorized pursuant to sec.170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Roundup for Safety Fund Restrictions
- Funds may not be used for political purposes, salaries, travel, rolling stock (vehicles, boats, etc), or other purposes not directly impacting safety.
- No more than $10,000 may be awarded to an applicant per calendar year. (Multiple applicants with the same tax ID# are eligible to apply, e.g. city police and city fire. Multiple projects may be funded each year until the $10,000 award maximum is reached.)
- Once granted, funding will be available for 6 months. If funding is not used within 6 months, it will go back into the general fund, and the organization must re-apply to receive funds.
- Team sports safety gear requests are limited to 25% of the cost of the equipment, up to a maximum of $1,000.
- AED requests are limited to $1,500 per AED.
- The board considers Roundup for Safety funding to be seed money for life safety projects in our community. Due to the large number of requests received each month (we commonly receive 3 to 4 times the amount in requests than there are dollars to award), Roundup for Safety typically does not fund projects at 100%.
- Applications for projects that have already been completed can not be considered for Roundup for Safety funding.
Before applying, please make sure that you have all the elements required to complete the application, including:
- Description of the project;
- Description of who will benefit from the project;
- Two bids for each item you are requesting funding for;
- Description of other sources of financial and in-kind support already available for this project;
- Organization's IRS Tax ID Number (FEIN); and
- Verification from the IRS of your tax-exempt status (you should have received a determination letter from the IRS approving your tax-exempt status at the time it was granted).
The deadline for applications to be reviewed and considered at each month's Roundup for Safety board meeting is the last day of the prior month. Applications submitted later than the last day of the month will be considered at the next meeting. (E.g. an application submitted by January 31 will be considered at the February board meeting; an application submitted on February 1 will be considered at the March board meeting.)
Our monthly board meetings are now hybrid which means you may join us either virtually via Microsoft Teams or in-person in the Community Room at Flathead Electric Co-op (2510 US Hwy 2E, Kalispell, entrance at the north end of the building). You'll receive the meeting invitation after the first of the month. Please respond by letting us know which option you’re planning on. We look forward to seeing you!